Labels

Sunday, March 4, 2012

S.A.C.R.E.D. Bible Study

When I was in Seminary I took a class called Inductive Bible Study.  We read a book called Methodical Bible Study by Robert Traina.  From that book and that class I have developed my acronym for Bible Study called S.A.C.R.E.D. Bible Study.  All credit goes to Robert Traina and David Bauer.  All blame rests on me.
S.A.C.R.E.D. Bible Study has 6 steps that you follow in order when doing Bible Study.
See it.  Read the text, and then read it again.  Look at everything, look at the words, the structure, the form.
Ask it.  Who? What? When? Where? Why?  Also what are the implications for this?
Call it.  What is the main point here?  What is being said?  Give this passage, this book, a name.  Call it.
Rate it.  Who would this message be to?  A sick person?  A woman?  A man?  All time?  Only then?
Eat it.  I must use this Scripture for my nourishment today.  I must apply it to my life, feed on it.
Digest it.  This Scripture must join with all the other Scriptures I have eaten and make me who I am.
I try to follow these steps when studying the Bible.  Maybe it will help you study the Bible.  Maybe it won't.  If it does, great.  If it doesn't, try what helps you.

http://www.amazon.com/Methodical-Bible-Study-Robert-Traina/dp/0310246024

http://www.amazon.com/Inductive-Bible-Study-Comprehensive-Hermeneutics/dp/0801027675/ref=pd_cp_b_0

No comments:

Post a Comment