Labels

Monday, March 19, 2012

Family Tree on the Wall

One idea I had was to paint a picture of a tree on the wall, and to use it to make a family tree.  At the roots I wrote the names of our grandparents and the dates of their weddings.  Then at the base of the trunk I wrote the names and wedding dates of our parents.  Then the names and wedding dates of us and our siblings.  Then in the leaves, as the fruit, the names of our children and our nieces and nephews.  I really think it is good for us to know where we have come from, and also where we are going as a family.  It is in the playroom so it is something that the kids see on a daily basis, and so without even knowing it, it will become a part of them.  Sometimes there is a lot behind family trees, like my dad and grandpa have both been married to two wives, because their first wives died, and how my other grandpa walked out on my mom's mom for another woman.  What do your kids know about your family tree?  Do they know the good and the bad?  If they do not know all there is to know about their family, will that information hurt them?  If so how will not knowing something hurt them?  There are times when information can hurt, but there are also times when hurtful information can provide the only way to growth.  The family tree must grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment