Labels

Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Family Verse

We have a family verse.  My wife's family also had a family verse.  Theirs was Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."  Ours is a verse that is repeated through Scripture time and time again, and my wife was the first to notice this repeated theme through the Bible.  The verse we picked was Exodus 34:6, but it can be found in Psalms, Jonah and other places too I think.  It is God revealing his name.  "Yahweh, Yahweh, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness."  We wrote the verse out and put it on our kids door to their bedroom.  Then we painted the verse on the wall of our living room.  I still think I would like to write the Hebrew of this verse above our front door, but we have not done that yet.  So what is your family verse?  Sometimes I think a verse is not enough.  Maybe you could have a family book, like the book of Ruth, or the book of Ephesians or the book of Deuteronomy or the book of Mark, or the double volume Luke-Acts.  That would take a lot more paint to paint on the wall, and you may need more than one wall.  What verse or book or chapter does your family resonate with, or is your family challenged by, or God has spoke to you through?   Paint it on your wall.  Your kids will grow up reading it over and over again.  






No comments:

Post a Comment