Labels

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Allowance

When I was a kid I got an allowance, although I forget how much it was.  I had to do chores around the house to earn my allowance like taking out the trash and doing the dishes.  When our kids turn 8 years old we give them an allowance of one dollar every two weeks.  They are taught to give one dime of that dollar to our church, and I am thinking that I should teach them to do something with the other 90 cents, but I have not solidly figured that out.  A lot of times they give more than 10% to church.  I think that’s great.  Other times they want to buy something that to me is either worthless or annoying.  Sometimes we let them.  Sometimes we make them pay their way to something.  I talk to them about putting some of that money to college, but I don’t think they get that at all.  So I need more ideas in this area for sure.  But two things I want to teach my kids about money, the money they hold in their hands.  1.  It is all God’s.  2.  The most fun thing to do with money is to give it away.  When our kids turn 12 they will have more responsibility and also a little more allowance (maybe two dollars), and then when they turn 16, up again it goes, with them having more responsibilities and more allowance.  They goal is for them to get used to getting a paycheck and be able to have good habits in place – especially the habit of giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment