Labels

Friday, March 23, 2012

Love Languages

My wife and I read a book some years ago called The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman.  In in he talks about five different ways of showing love.  Here they are:  Words of Affirmation, Physical Touch, Quality Time, Gifts, Acts of Service.  How can you say "I love you"?  One way I say it to my wife is by telling her how wonderful she is (Words of Affirmation) even though I speak that love language more fluently than she who speaks it to me by cooking me meals 7 days a week (Acts of Service).  One way our daughter shows love is by giving gifts that she makes (Gifts).  One way to find out your love language is by asking how you yourself show love.  Another way my wife can show she loves me is by hugging me (Physical Touch), and the way my wife likes me to show her love best is by sitting down and talking, just the two of us (Quality Time).  This book can apply to your relationship with anyone, but it is especially helpful in marriage.  Here are some questions to ask yourself.  How do I show love to others?  How to I feel the most loved by others - when they do or say what?  Am I effected by words?  actions?  gifts?  presence?  touch?  We would recommend this book not as a book to pin you down as one of these and label everyone, but as a beginning to understanding you and your spouse better, or your kids better, or God better, or others better.
Read more about the five love languages at http://www.5lovelanguages.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment