Labels

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Family Budget

This is an idea I have known is a good one for a long time, because my dad told me it was a good idea. . . .over and over again.  His dad told him the same thing.  But here is my problem with some of my Christian family ideas.  I am good, very good, at thinking up ideas, but I am not always good on the follow through.  So I have finally made a budget for our family after 12 years.  There is a problem with the budget, though.  We spend more than we make.  So we wait for the tax check and hope that makes up for the difference until the next tax check.  This is one of those ideas that my wife and I always say is a good idea, but we never seem to do it.  What about you?  Do you have a family budget?
How do you make a family budget?  Here is what I did.  Open up an excel document.  Label one column expenses, and list the expenses according to your bills and how money gets spent, such as:  verizon, gas bill, mortgage, taxes, giving, Y membership, vacation, triathlons, auto/gas, and our biggest expense in our family of 6, food and supply.  List the amounts you spend in each per month.  Then in another column you put your income, all the ways you make money.  If you are like us there are more ways you spend money than there are ways you make money.  See if the expenses column is more or less or the same as the income column.
Also, remember that 10% tithe that my Grandpa told my dad about and my dad told me about does not mean that God gets 10% of my money.  It helps me remember that all money that I have is his.  I must spend every penny in a way that honors my Lord Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment