Labels

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Reading Books

When I was a kid television was called books - says the grandpa in The Princess Bride.  I heard it said once that just having books in your house makes you smarter - you don't even have to read them.  But reading them is a good thing.  So what books to read as a christian family?  I could give you lots of ideas that I like but you might not like.  For instance, there are kids books on a lot of adult-ish subjects that you as parents may want to share with your kids.  I like astronomy, so when my kids were very little I got them a cool kids book about the constellations, the big dipper, orion, the bull, pegasus, etc.  So what do you like?  My wife was searching for this one sunflower book for a long time and finally found it.  It is called The Sunflower Garden by Janice May Udry.  One of my all time favorite children's books is Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Suess.  We are currently reading Little House on the Prairie, which I have mixed feelings about.  One time we usually read is right when the kids get in bed for the night.  We read and their imaginations swirl with the words coming from the book.  They have taken adventures with Lucy and Edmund, Eustace and Jill, and we can't forget Shasta and Avaris (I think that's her name) in the Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis.  They have cried (okay, they saw me cry) over Thorin Oakenshield in The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein.  Another great book to read is the Bible, all sixty six books of it.  So what books do you like?  What are your favorite books to read to your kids?
Picture of And Then It's Spring

1 comment:

  1. I love the Jesus Storybook Bible! (For adults or kids.)

    ReplyDelete