Labels

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Journaling

The first ever journal I got was from the man who discipled me when I was in high school.  He shared with me about his God-time, and how journaling was a big part of that time.  That was the beginnings of my journaling.  Then my mom sent me a journal while I was a counselor at a summer camp in Pennsylvania called Summer's Best Two Weeks.  She may have also sent a pen.  A fellow counselor and I started again the discipline of journaling, writing prayers, thoughts, conversations, yearnings with God.  Throughout the last 19 years of my life journaling has been a big part.  When I was disillusioned about the Christian University I was going to was not as Christian as I thought it should be, I journaled about it.  When I first saw my wife singing in a gospel choir I journaled about it.  When my mom died, and my whole life perspective shifted, I journaled about it.  When I would fail in the many ways that I fail, I would journal about it.  When my children began breathing air, I journaled about it.  When God told me to unite the body, I journaled about it.  When I lived among the Kuria, I journaled about it.  When I prayed for my son to be healed of his glaucoma, I journaled about it.
Journaling becomes a record of my life with God.
If you asked if you could read my journals I would give you the look if you asked if you could see me naked.
For me, and for many others journaling can be an instrument towards prayer, a tool to growth in prayer.  I also think it can be used by both beginners in prayer and masters in prayer.
It can also be something to teach kids about.
I am very grateful to the man who taught me to journal and to my mom who encouraged me to keep going.
They don't journal anymore. At least I don't think they do.  They communicate with Jesus Christ not with pen and ink, but face to face.  Someday I will see Him face to face too, but until then, I am going to journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment