Labels

Friday, April 20, 2012

Rating Churches


Many people try to find a Church that they like, similar to if I have a choice between Mountain Dew and Pepsi I am going to choose Mountain Dew because I like it more.  So what about a Church makes it one you like?  Many say the Worship (usually meaning music), or Preaching, or Children’s ministry, or Traditional Service or Contemporary Service.  What kind of doctrine is it?  Do they speak in tongues or not?  Do they have a meal afterwards?   What questions do you ask? 
Right now I am a part of a church that I really like.  And the thing I like most about it would not be answered by any of those questions.  Here is a question to ask about the Church you are going to, or thinking about going to. 
What is the Mission?  What is the Vision?
When I was in a church in Nairobi God spoke to me and told me that my life mission was to unite the Body of Christ.  About 5 years later I became a part of a Church that had the same mission I had.  Reconciling people to God.  Reconciling people to each other.  Joining Jesus Christ in the reconciliation of all things.
Why be a part of a church?  I am a part of a church that has a mission that is also my mission.  Our church exists for a specific reason, and our mission is not something was made up just to put on a web page.  It fuels our direction and our ministry.
So here is the idea:  Find out what your Church’s mission statement is.  Does it have one?  Why does your church exist?  Any goals?  Do those line up with Jesus Christ’s vision and goals?  What about yours?
Another idea:  think of a mission statement for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment