Labels

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Quarterly Goals


When I was in college I started having quarterly goals for myself.  It was around this time that I was reading Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, and so it may have come from that book.  I write out goals for myself on January 1 for January February and March, and also again on April 1 for April May and June, and you get it, again on July 1 and October 1.  So sometimes I have written 7+ goals and by the end of that three months forgotten them all.  Other times I have decided to only write one goal – and sometimes I remember it and do it.  What kind of goals do I write?  I write goals based on who I am.  So usually at least one of my goals will have something to do with my personal time with God in the morning.  This is because over the years I have seen how important this time with God in the morning is for me.  Sometimes it is “Read the whole Bible in a year” divided up into four quarters.  Sometimes it is “Read the book of Haggai for a month, Zechariah the next month, and Malachi the next month.”  Sometimes I have a list of people I want to pray for every day while other times I have a form of prayer that I want to pray and other times a set amount of time to listen to God. 
Not all my goals have to do with my personal time with God, as one goal I made last year was to run a marathon in under three hours.  I ran it in 3:12, and though I did not meet my goal I am still glad I made the goal hard.  I learn most maybe by failing to achieve my goals.  I have also had goals that become habits.  My goals of reading one book a month has been generally one I continue to keep.
The great thing about goals comes when you evaluate them.  Did I actually accomplish this goal?  Sort of.  Okay, what do you mean by sort of Danny?  When goals are evaluated, so much can be learned.  So what goals do you have?

No comments:

Post a Comment