Labels

Saturday, April 7, 2012

DTR (Define The Relationship)


This is an idea that comes from our college days of young love.  So if you are at the pre-Christian family stage, being single, and are dating someone or going on dates, this idea could be for you.  At Taylor, where we went, when a man and a woman started dating and it became serious they may have a DTR.  Define The Relationship.  Defining the relationship answers these questions:  Are we boyfriend and girlfriend?  Are we dating other people or just each other?  How do you feel about me?  How do I feel about you?  Eventually DTR can mean, are we looking toward marriage.  There are only so many options for a romantic relationship.  1.  You can eventually get married.  2.  You can break up.  3.  You can date forever.  4.  One of you can die.   There are no other options that I can think of.
Our DTR.  15 years ago I took my wife to the steeplechase pit and sang a song to her.  To me it was a Garth Brooks song, but to her it was a Billy Joel song:  “. . . in all my life I’ve never found, what I couldn’t resist what I couldn’t turn down, I can walk away from anyone I ever knew, but I can’t walk away from you.  I’ve made myself a world, and its worked so perfectly, but it’s your world now, I can’t refuse, I’ve never had so much to lose, I’m shameless. . .” 
What did those teenagers know about what they were doing?  I would say not much at all.  I don’t even think we Defined The Relationship very well.  But that was 15 years ago, and today she still lets me sing to her even though she is the much better singer.
So if you are in a relationship that you should define – Define It.   It may be a conversation that you remember for the rest of your life.
But be careful who you DTR with.  This person may end up being the person you spend the rest of your life with.
Today I am celebrating our DTR by taking my wife to hear some really good music  "one day more. . . "

No comments:

Post a Comment