Labels

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Memorizing Scripture


Growing up I never really memorized Scripture, but one day at a Summer Camp I was a counselor at a fellow counselor asked if I would memorize John 17 with him.  I was up for the challenge and started trying to memorize it.  I wrote the two verses I was doing that day on a card, and on my run I would try to say it over and over again.  It was not easy, but it was not impossible either, and began to shape how I thought.  John 17 is a great chapter in the Bible.  I know people who have memorized the sermon on the mount, and whole books of the Bible.  Memorizing Scripture is very possible, but it can also become void of meaning.  One time when I was reciting a portion of Scripture to someone who was checking me I was reciting it quickly and without emotion, and she said, “Don’t just say words, put emotions and feelings into it – don’t you know what you are saying?”  That helped me realize that Scripture is not to be memorized for a contest, but for an inner life change, for me.  It has been amazing to see our kids memorize Scripture.  What else can be put into the mind that is a better investment?  I personally think it is good to not just memorize verses, but passages and chapters and books.

No comments:

Post a Comment