Labels

Thursday, June 14, 2012

Indian Statues

In the city I live in there are statues of Indians.  The state I live in is Indiana, meaning place of the Indians.  Of course, if you read your history book, even the highly euro-centric slant most history books are could not avoid that calling them Indians was thinking they were in India.  They, Chris and the lot of the white folk, were off by the Pacific Ocean and half of Asia, so in essence they were off by half the world.  Geographically speaking they would have been closer to call them Brits.
So the Native Americans used to live where I live.  I have walked around this town and all you see of Indians is statues.  It makes me think of the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, when the Witch turns all the Narnians into stone.  That seems to be what the culture I am a part of, White culture, has done.  We have turned all the Native Americans into stone.
Our Christian Nation with Christian forefathers killed, raped, hung, starved, chased, and genocided the Native American tribes.

When will Aslan come and blow the statues and turn them back into Native Americans?

This is not Narnia.  The Native Americans are few, and we, as the Church, must ask - what to do?

I am a white person.  My culture killed and genocided as many Native Americans as they could.  They stole, killed, and destroyed, just like the Devil.  My people did horrible things, even in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

For any Native Americans who may be reading this:
"I am so sorry for what we have done to you and your ancestors.  We were wrong and what we did was evil.  I ask humbly if you will forgive us.  We know that these terrible wrongs we did cannot be repaid because we can never bring back the years, the tribes, the families, the people.  We lay ourselves at your feet and weep."

No comments:

Post a Comment