Labels

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Playing Football with Jesus Christ


A five year old boy walks by a football field where three eighth graders are playing football.  They are football players.  One of them says, “Hey boy, come play football with us!”  The boy says, “Okay, but we need to make fair teams because you are football players and I am not, and you are also much older than me.”  They say, “Okay, the three of us against you.”  The boy says no and starts to walk away, but just then a man gets out of his car and says that he would love to play and that he and the five year old would take on the three eighth graders.  The boy says to the man, “Unless you are one of the best football players who has ever lived, and can practically beat them by yourself, we are not going to win, and I do not want to get beat up.”  The man said, “My name is LaDainian Tomlinson, and all you have to do is let me hold you and I will score touchdown after touchdown.  Do you trust me to hold you?  Or do you want to trust yourself and get tackled to the ground."


We are in a war that is much bigger than we are.  We have the same choice the boy in the fictional story had.  Will we trust that we are safe in the arms of Jesus Christ and let him win the battle for us, or will we trust ourselves and get tackled over and over again?  Prayer is similar to getting into the arms of Jesus.  Speaking the Word is similar to letting him run for the touchdown.  Just because I am in his arms doesn’t mean I become him, any more than the little boy playing with LaDainian Tomlinson can rush through the three teenagers.  This is the problem with Mormon theology – we do not become gods just because he brings us to his level, for then why would we need God anymore?  So we would think, and then we would get tackled.  Also, just because Jesus Christ is on our team does not mean that he is not the Greatest of all.  That is the problem with Jehovah’s Witness theology.  If Jesus is not God and does not have all power, how can he hold me without me getting tackled?

Climb into the arms of Jesus Christ and let him run for touchdown after touchdown.

No comments:

Post a Comment