Labels

Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Real Life

Real Life

Real Life is the second part of the prayer acronym T.R.I.N.I.T.Y. (see previous posts).
Real Life means that there is nothing off limits in prayer.  Please feel free to come to God with things that seem too trivial or too weighty, because it is all intended to be brought to God in prayer.

For me real life includes my strained hamstring, my sin, my pride, the insulation in my house, my dogs, my family, my job, my feelings of inadequacy, my feelings of accomplishment, the weight of this world, the weight of my heart.

Our real lives must be brought with all their weight and triviality and mess to God in prayer.

So much of the lament Psalms of the Bible are great for Real Life prayer.

One of the most honest Psalms is Psalm 22 which Jesus quotes, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"  Psalm 88 is probably the saddest Psalm and yet refreshing in its honesty.   Not that all real life prayers have to be sad depressing prayers.  Some may be joyful.  Some may be confusing.  Some may be boring.  Real life can be all those.

Idea for you:  Read Psalm 22 and then talk to God about your life for 15 minutes.

Image result for why have you forsaken me

No comments:

Post a Comment