Labels

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Pick-a-dates

We went to a small Midwestern Christian college, and there was a tradition there to have pick-a-dates.  What is a pick-a-date?  A pick-a-date is where your roommate calls and asks someone to go on a group date with you and the people in your dorm.  The great thing, I believe, about pick-a-dates is that Christian college kids can hang out together in a group and learn about others through conversation.  There is a lot to be said for group interaction in the dating process.  I did not go on a record number of pick-a-dates, but I went on a few, and so I will list my top ten list.  If you are living in a college dorm trying to plan an event for your dorm, feel free to use any of these in your context.  Some of them were okay, others were life-changing.
10.  My first pick a date was to my hometown bowling alley.  I list is #10 not because it is the worst, but because it is the first.  We had a pick of a wreck, and had to change a tire.  Bowling seems to be a popular group dating activity.
9.  Going to someone's house and hanging out.  This is pretty common.  I just remember the only person who had never seen "Friends,"  the tv show.
8.  The square dance.  This was not really a pick a date, but a tradition at our college.  You square danced with people you just met.  I know one guy who met his future wife this way.
7.  Insert your idea here:  I did not go on ten pick a dates, so I have to fill space.  Some of the rest may be made up.  You pick which ones were made up.
6.  Go to NAIA nationals pick a date.  This was not really a date at all, but I got to see my friend run a !:46 800.
5.  Walk the loop pick a date.  We all walked the loop around campus and then had hot chocolate in the breezeway.
4.  Nutcracker pick a date.  We got all dressed up and went to Indianapolis to see the Nutcracker.  It was fun.  I later married my date.
3.  Children's museum pick a date.  I still like that place and take my kids there.
2.  The T-shirt pick a date.  You meet your date in the library, give her a T-shirt that says, "I went on a Sammy II pick-a-date and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.
1.  Jar-prom.  Think opposite of prom.  The main event was an obstacle course in which you heaved yourself and your date on top of a shed, shot a ball in a basket, did the wheelbarrow, etc.  The best pick a date ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment