Labels

Sunday, March 17, 2013

the discipline of fasting

the discipline of fasting is odd in these United States I live in.  Some of you live in areas where fasting is a reality, in that people go without food because there is no food.  The lack of food is unheard of in the United States, even among the homeless people I work with.  Jesus fasted for 40 days.  Moses fasted.  Elijah fasted.  Esther fasted.  Fasting is skipping a meal or meals in order to spend that time praying instead of eating.
Some of the things that fasting has done for me.
1.  showed me how weak I am, and how food oriented I am.
2.  given me no excuse not to pray.
3.  lead me, through my hunger, to hunger instead for the bread that comes down from heaven.
4.  think about those throughout the world, my brothers and my sisters, who literally are starving to death.
5.  to show how human and weak I am.
6.  did I mention that it shows my weakness, for I feel that this is so important, maybe the center of my Christianity, to know my weakness, so that I will rely on Christ's strength and not my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment