Labels

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Listen to the conversation Martin wants you to have

My conscience:  “Thou hast sinned.”

Me:                        “I grant I have sinned.”
My conscience: “Then will God punish thee.”
Me:                        “Nay, he will not do so.”
My conscience: “Why, doth not the law of God say so?”
Me:                        “I have nothing to do with that law.”
My conscience: “Why so?”
Me:                        “Because I have another law which striketh this law dumb, that is to say,                                   liberty.”
My conscience: “What liberty is that?”
Me:                        “The liberty of Christ, for by Christ I am utterly freed from the law.”

A conversation Martin Luther encourages us to have with our conscience, if we take good hold of what Paul teaches in Galatians, in his commentary on Galatians.

No comments:

Post a Comment