Labels

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Shutting my mouth as a parent

In the words of Maria from The Sound of Music, "I'm far too outspoken, it is one of my worst faults."  In my relationships with my kids I open my mouth quickly and shut it slowly.  I almost always react to my kids disrespect, anger, quarrels, etc.  Lord, show me how to keep a tight reign on my mouth. 
"Jesus, when you stood before Pontius Pilate, with so so much you could have said to the man you created in the greatest moment of history and yet you chose to keep your mouth closed - teach me the wisdom in shutting my mouth, and the peace of shutting my mouth, and the joy in shutting my mouth, and the control of shutting my mouth.  Would you Jesus be my mouth's guard and make the words that come out to only be the words you have specifically chosen.  Much damage can be done by one careless destructive word, and yet such good can be done by one careful creative word.  Be my words Lord.  May the Word be so in me that the only words that come out of my mouth are for you.  Amen, so let it be."

No comments:

Post a Comment